home    about    services    rates    faq    testimonials    contact   

Thursday, March 21, 2013

Basics for Small Business Owners

by: Susan Sheehan

I owned my first small business, a flower store, when I was in my 20's.  I was a great florist and felt I'd make more money running my own business.  Wrong (at least at first).  I had no idea how to run a business and I found out the hard way.

This time around I'm a little smarter.  I'm keeping books, records, and customers.  I actually have a business plan.  I can promise you this, the effort involved in keeping books is worth the payoff at tax time (or when the IRS comes knocking).  However, around here we have a lot of seasonal businesses.  And if your business is seasonal you need to work like crazy "in season."  And that leaves very little time for anything else.  

You can't put off accounts receivable / payable and payroll.  You must keep your current customers and  you'll need to spend some time developing new ones.  This is exactly where a VA comes in handy.  Give us the jobs you hate doing, the busy work, so you can concentrate on the parts of your job you like and are good at.  We can help you an hour a week or 20.  Try us and you'll be convinced.  

While you are at it take a quick read of this article, "7 Things a Small Business Owner Should Know" it sums up the basics.  

No comments:

Post a Comment